Soy, as we all know, is a rich source of protein. Soy is especially good for vegetarians who don’t eat meat. Here are 5 unbelievable benefits of soy.
- It is an important source of high-quality protein (equivalent to that of animal origin) and, therefore, a food with a high nutritional value, which can supply the deficiencies of the diet of vegetarians, or those who, for various reasons, consume little meat, or have not covered their protein needs.
- Soy protein slightly reduces cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood and lowers blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Because of these properties, experts attribute to soy the ability to reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease.
- In epidemiological studies it has been observed a reduction in the incidence of certain types of cancer in the population that regularly consumes this oilseed, in particular, there is a lower incidence of breast cancer (as well as the mortality associated with this pathology) and cancer of the prostate. It is also an established fact that soy has a preventive role against colon cancer, due to its richness in fiber and its low intake of saturated fats.
- The investigations carried out in this regard have also been able to verify an improvement of the bone health, appreciating a decrease of the bone loss of the spine in menopausal women. In addition, the incorporation of soy to the usual diet of these women contributed to reduce the symptoms of menopause , especially hot flashes , thanks to isoflavones, phytoestrogens derived from soy which have a favorable estrogenic effect on the bones, the central nervous system and the vascular wall, free from side effects (such as cardiovascular or carcinogenic risks), which have been observed after the use of synthetic estrogens (hormone replacement therapy) in the treatment of the symptoms of menopause.
- Different studies have revealed that there is an association between a high consumption of plant-based foods and a low incidence of chronic diseases. The isoflavones in soy, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and certain types of cancer.
You may be interested in(ad)